February 11, 2006

A Stringer Fish

A breath of chilly air blew against me. As I pulled my coat tighter against me, I surveyed the lake. “I can’t believe that the trout can survive in this muddy water,” I thought.

This pond had been stocked with trout a week before. I could hardly contain my joy when my friend had called and asked if I would like to go fishing at this pond. Before I got off the phone, I was already dreaming of a sizzling dinner of rainbow trout.

When the day arrived to go fishing, I packed up my tackle box and went to join my friend. Once I arrived, I was shocked at the size of the pond. It was not even an acre! Yet all these doubts of the quality of the pond dispersed when I saw people catch one trout after another. Across the pond, one gentleman hauled in six trout in half an hour.

As I rigged up a Thunder Bug, I happened to glance at the water. To my complete surprise, I saw a trout within an arms lenghth away from me. To further this phenomenon of this wary fish coming so close, it had a stringer coming through its gill! I decided that he was not going to escape the dinner table. Cautiously, I stretched my hand out into the water. I cringed at the icy cold temperature of the muddy water. Suddenly, the trout began to swim away. With despair in my mind, I made one last attempt to catch this fish. Leaning as far out as I dared, I was able to grasp the stringer and haul the fish out of the water. Relief flooded over me as I looked at my catch with victory.

After a victory picture, I put the trout in the ice chest, which doubled as a live well. Despite the fact that my I did not catch another trout that day, and my friend beating me two to one, I had a lot of fun. As the sun set, my friend and I packed up our belongings and headed home.

I thought to myself that I was willing to spend any amount of time out on the water to catch a single fish after this hard fishing winter. Then, it hit me that I still had the job of cleaning the fish, and this was to be my first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home